Monday, July 21, 2008

A day of goodbyes and “Farewell(s)”

When I opened up my calling a couple of months ago I was so excited about it I felt like ready to leave the next day. Well, the day of departure seems to be coming faster than I can handle.
Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to speak in my home ward. I feel bad because I monopolized the meeting and spoke a little long. M
y talk was mostly about missionary work and how I have prepared to serve.   After my talk my sister played a special musical number on the saxophone, and we had the opportunity to hear from the mission President and his wife as well as my dad.
Following the meeting, my mother prepared a fantastic open house in my honor. Everyone that knows my mom probably has already assumed that the open house was amazing. Mother decided to go all out and have a wonderful Indian buffet. I of course was excited because I enjoy eating Indian food, but I am sure that after two years of it I will be ready for a good American hamburger and fries.  I would love to say that the hundred plus people that attended the open house were there just to see me, but I have feeling that when ever people hear that my mom is throwing a party they come running, and to top it off my sister made an 
amazing three layer Indian looking cake with an elephant on top.  I hate to admit it but I am one lucky Elder, because I have a wonderful family that supports me.
While the open house was wonderful because I had the opportunity to say goodbye individually to all my friends and family it was very emotional. Although I am very excited to serve the Lord, it is very weird to think I am going to be putting my life on hold for the next two years.  It is hard to think that I am going two years without the blessing of football on television and playing lacrosse. However, I cannot express in words how much love I have for my Savior and the gospel. I know that when I put the Lord first everything works out.

1 comment:

Tom and Ally said...

Billy,

Hey bud, I hope that the mission prep is going well. We miss seeing you around. You are going to be a great missionary and you will love it! If you need anything, let me know. Keep in touch.

Love your cousin, Tom Turley